July 15, 2008

It's been 5 good weeks here in our North African city, but today was our last. Tomorrow I'm jumping on a 11 hour train ride with half of the group; we're getting our tour of the eastern part of the nation underway. 

If there's one thing I've learned on this trip, it's the power of prayer. We're completely powerless without the work of the Holy Spirit - and that comes by prayer. 

Today 3 of us rented mopeds and cruised around the city to cap off our experience here. It was pretty crazy; Mom - you would've had a heart attack if you had seen me weavin' through the insane traffic. Don't worry, I didn't even crash once. As I went to start up my bike at the end of the day and take it back to the shop, I realized that the key was still turned in the ignition, and the battery was dead. I was way downhill of my destination and the thing wouldn't start. Great. My first thought was..."No, problem. I'll just ask God to take care of this little detail for me and I'll be on my way." Well God chose not to make it start, and for some reason it bothered me. I was thinking, "God, I know you can do this, why won't you just make it start?! Can't you see I need this?" He didn't, and I pushed the thing up the huge hill, getting madder with every step. I let this small, insignificant thing really bother me and in a way shake my faith in prayer. Why wouldn't God just do it? Finally, some random person came up to me and somehow got it started. After that, I barely found the rental shop in time (a miracle, if you know me you know that my sense of direction is about that of a 4-year old's), so that I didn't have to pay any extra. After I dropped it off, I realized how stupid I had been. Instead of just trusting that God had a reason, I decided to get mad and question the sovereign Creator of the universe. If I can lose it over something like that, I have a really long way to go before I encounter some real trials in life. I guess God can use something as small as a moped rental to teach me, and display how much I need to change.  

P.S. - I'm feeling a little sick these days and we're taking the REALLY long train ride tomorrow - if you could pray for that it would be great. 

Peace 

No comments: