May 30, 2009

Today our travels took us to a city about 45 minutes east of here, and a beautiful one at that. Set in a river valley that winds through the beginnings of a major mountain range, it's a picturesque scene. The buildings creep up the sides of the mountains and finally disappear as the clouds begin to engulf the mountain peaks. Great looking place. We spent some time here talking with a fellow worker, and it was very interesting. The guy had some ideas/philosophies about work in muslim areas that I was very uncomfortable with, yet it was a good chance to hear a new perspective and I did learn some things from him. Basically, if you know anything about the muslim insider movement, that knowledge would describe him. I won't go into detail about the things he presented, but all I can say is that theology is important. Sound doctrine is essential to taking the gospel to a place like this; the conversation definitely confirmed my desires to get more education and study the word on a deeper level. If I'm going to make disciples here someday, I had better have something to give them.

We drove part of the way up a mountain, and while the rest set off to completely ascend it, I was on car duty. Though I was a little frustrated that my back kept me from heading up...God provided a powerful moment while I waited. From our high vantage point we could see most of the city, and the call to prayer began to resonate from the mosques throughout the landscape. If you've ever heard the call to prayer live, you know that it's an unnerving sound. But to hear it blasting all over the area, from hundreds of mosques, was incredible. It saddened, angered, inspired and challenged me all at the same time, and made me jealous for God's glory.

I couldn't help but think of Jesus' words in Luke 19, "If these were silent, the very stones would cry out." God will be glorified. Yet, even with all the noise of false attempts to praise God ringing throughout the valley, the little stone at my feet was doing more to glorify God than the Imams were. The beautiful creation in my view screamed the glory of God, and yet the collectively haunting sounds of the call to prayer confirmed many in their hopeless attempts to please God without knowing Jesus. I don't want this situation to remain. I don't want the rocks to be the only thing in that valley that glorifies God. If that means I make my home in that city someday, then I guess I'll forever remember today's moment. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, brother. Sorry to hear about your back. You're attitude is right though, resting in God's sovereign wisdom. Thanks for keeping us posted on your work. You're in our prayers! Mike B