June 17, 2008

I'll be honest, the last couple days have been a little frustrating. I've let the language barrier really discourage me, and just haven't been doing so hot spiritually. You would think that its easier to walk with God when you're on a foreign field...right? I'm finding the opposite. Its like satan doesn't want me here and is throwing all kinds of distractions my way. It just exposes to me how spiritually immature I am..and how far I have to go. Luckily God doesn't let us down, even when we let Him down. I got the chance to talk to one of my good friends last night...and it was really encouraging. (Thank you) I finally realized that OF COURSE its not going to be easy to walk with God, it takes real effort...just like anywhere! I hadn't even been in His word the last two days...why would I expect to grow? Here I am in North Africa...doing what I've been dreaming about for a long time now...and I'm failing. Last night I really asked God to help me focus on Him and to let me be used...despite how pathetic I am. Today He really helped me to get back on track, and revealed some really relevant truth through the book of Mark. I was reading about Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane and finding His disciples asleep. When He discovered them asleep instead of praying...He rebuked them with this.  Mark 14:38 "Keep watching and praying that you may not come into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

This verse meant everything to me today; I'm under spiritual attack and I've been relying on yesterday's success for today! I definitely have a willing spirit, and definitely have weak flesh. I've got to wake up every single day and start the war against myself all over again; I've got to dig into His word and beg Him to help me die to myself and live for him. It's the only way to avoid falling...It's the only way to keep from falling asleep. Thank you for praying for me...and please keep it up because tomorrow is a brand new day. 


This afternoon as I went out, I asked God to allow me to find someone that spoke English and to allow me to witness to him/her. I promise that my plan for finding people is this simple: see how close to the beach I can get before someone grabs me and starts yapping away. They always do...the problem is its not usually in English. My first encounter of the day was some guys that dragged me into a cafe with them to "watch soccer". Yeah right...once the English speaker found out that I wasn't interested in an apartment, weed, or some "nice girls for a short time", they left in a hurry. I almost thought I blew it but kept going...and finally a local drug dealer that had tried to hit me up before stopped me. He was getting the gospel, whether he liked it or not! After he finally stopped describing his "small business" that involves moving pot and who knows what else across borders, paying off cops to set up shop on the main drag, and selling to kids in the area, I asked him some questions. "What does Allah think about your drug/sex habits?" "Are you sure that you're going to heaven someday?" He tried to justify his life by stating that he planned on switching to the straight and narrow muslim path in a few years, but just wanted to enjoy what the world has to offer for awhile longer. To sum it up from there I was able to talk to him about the problem of sin, and the solution of Jesus Christ. He argued what most muslims will..." Allah is one and could not have had a son." When I explained that Jesus wasn't the result of a sexual relationship but rather of the Holy Spirit placing him in Mary, the man's eyes lit up. It really seemed to click and he gladly accepted and promised to read the Arabic John/Romans translation I gave Him. Who knows what's going to happen in his life? I'm just glad that God allowed me to share the gospel with him, and I hope you'll join me in praying for Him. His name is Nadier and I'll probably get to see him quite a bit, seeing as his business isn't switching locations anytime soon. 


Thank you again for praying...its working. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey man,

I'll be praying for you. Your blog has been a real encouragement to me over here in the woods. If it will let me, I'll try to post a song that may be an additional encouragement to you. ~JN