June 14, 2008

Today we all woke up and jumped on different buses, mostly so we could observe the culture and hopefully talk to some people. My bus headed south out of the city, to a somewhat remote village in the hills. It was really hot in that bus...but still a good experience. The country-dwelling people seemed to be less approachable the the city-folk, definitely a switch from American culture. Today was the first time I've encountered someone that really did not want to talk to me; one man in a seat next to me turned away from my question and grabbed another seat as soon as it was available. As a whole though these people are very friendly and approachable. After that we ate some good old Mcdonalds...right here in North Africa. The menu was pretty much the same, except for the McArabia. We all had a good laugh at that...definitely didn't order that one.

One of the most effective ways to reach people is through sports ministry, and we're going to use it as much as possible. This evening as we walked around the city I bounced a basketball along with me, and within 15 minutes Jon and I were walking to the local gym with about 10 new friends. It was closed, but we're planning on heading out there tomorrow and trying to meet as many people as possible. The goal is to build relationships to the point of sharing the gospel with them...however long that may take. Pray that we are able to get to know some of the local kids as well as possible, and that we get/take chances to talk with them about Jesus.

That's all for tonight.

No comments: