June 15, 2008

This morning I attended my first underground sunday morning church service. Pretty cool...except for the fact that the preaching was in Arabic and I couldn't understand a word of it. Oh well. 
One thing that I've been struck with is the unity in Christ believers have with each other, even across linguistic and cultural barriers. There's just something that connects you with another Christian, even if you can't say a word to him. 

Earlier today I went for a walk around the city, hoping to find someone that speaks english. I got a little lost so I asked a kid walking down the street for directions to the beach. He spoke only spoke French and Arabic...so I ended up following him through some heavily packed marketplaces and alleys for about half an hour. We really tried to communicate...I was drawing pictures in the sand and everything but never really got anywhere. The language barrier is so frustrating; If I could speak Arabic I probably could have witnessed to a lot of people by now. I'm just trying to keep it in perspective and trust that God has me in this place for a reason, even if I can't talk to most of the people. 

Speaking of languages, I start teaching English and taking Arabic tomorrow. It should be pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to meeting some kids that speak at least a little English...hopefully that turns into some chances to share the gospel. 

No comments: